Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Who Cares About Me? Psalm 139





I had the awesome opportunity to talk to about 60 teenage girls today. I was so excited to share what God had laid on my heart 2 months ago for them. It all started when I asked about my friend's new tattoo on her foot. She had Psalm 139 permanently marked on her. I was curious so I looked it up and God began to speak to me that this is what He wanted me to share with these young ladies. I read the whole chapter but for my blog I will copy the portion I really focused on.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!

18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand.
When I awake,
I am still with you.

I shared with the girls that there is nothing you can say or do that is hidden from God. He knows everything and sees everything. We see this very clearly in verses 1-12. Some may find that this makes them uncomfortable because of sin...I told the girls that it is just the opposite for those who are in Christ. It is awesome that He knows everything. He knows our dreams, our hurts, when we are sad or when we are happy. God is not surprised by anything that comes along our way. He is always with us and cares about everything in our lives.

We then discussed why He created us. I said that God loves us and made us to have communion with Him. We also looked at that He has a plan for each of our lives and found in Jer. 29:11. We are not some cosmic accident that happened for no apparent reason. The God of heaven and earth made each of us for His unique purpose and plan.

My next question to them is who are you listening to? Are you listening to what the world tells you are or are your listen to who God says you are? I had a 4ft mirror that we wrote on. I asked the girls to tell me all the negative things they say about themselves when the look in the mirror and see the person that they are. Here are some of the things we wrote on that mirror... I am ugly, fat, hate my hair, eyes and nose, I hate my body, useless, worthless, stupid, dumb, sinner, I am nothing.
When we begin to listen to these things, we talked about what happens
1. We want people to tell us what they think and do anything for it.
2. We only do things if we feel we are good enough
3. We hide who we truly are and pretend to be someone we are not
4. Depressed/Arrogant
5. Act out
Addictions, Eating disorders, Cutting, Sex, Suicide


I then brought out my hammer. I reminded them about what we read in verses 14-18. We need to listen to what God says about us. We need to listen to what His thoughts are towards us. He loves us so very much. And as I smashed the mirror it began to reveal what God truly sees us as....His child, His masterpiece, His joy, His love towards us, He created us, we are unique and full of talents, He has given us a hope, and we are beautiful to Him. All those things are what really matters. We need to stop focusing on what others think of us and only be concerned about what God thinks of us.

We then closed out with verses 23-24

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.

24 See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.

Thanks girls at Lost Valley Bible Camp for giving me the chance to share what God had laid on my heart for you and for all girls. Together we will....
GET JOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!