Wednesday, January 16, 2013

When I Need Wisdom!


James 1:5-8
If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking. But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone. Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind. Such people should not expect to receive anything from the Lord.   Their loyalty is divided between God and the world, and they are unstable in everything they do.

When I need wisdom...
Playing games after a long day in classes at CBC!
In Bible College I had to do a paper in my Hermeneutics class.  My entire grade rested on that paper.  I had to tear apart Luke 11:9-13.  I mean seriously study it backwards, forwards, upside down, in Greek, in the light of all scripture, while I ate, and possibly in my sleep.  This paper consumed my life.  So many I’s to dot and T’s to cross. 

I worked all semester on that paper.  It was more than 10 pages long.  It was a work of art.  I fulfilled every requirement.  I choose to go to his office and sit there as he graded it.  Yup…that was an option!  I was that confident.  Crazy, I know!  As he read my paper, I sat nervously and watched his face.  I was looking for expressions of delight of a paper well done. 

One of my favorite pics, our dearest college friends at our apt.
I'm sure the boys later cheated at a round of Euchre.
He began to tell me that my paper was written well and it would get an A except for one thing.  My heart began to sink and my face cringed as he began to tell me I had missed the point of the whole passage.  I got too caught up in the details and did not look at the big picture.

How many times do we get caught up in the details of our life, the worries of our situations, or concerns of tomorrow?  We begin to try to manage our life without stepping back to see the big picture and ask the big question, “God what do you want me to do?”  And if we actually do ask that question, how many of us wait around until we actually get His answer? Because if we take a moment and think, who see the big picture better God or us?

The one thing I learned about that Luke passage is that God wants to give us what we ask for.  He does not hold back.  He does not even hold back the thing we need most, Himself (Which by the way is the point I missed in my paper.  He still gave me a B in case you were wondering).  So, if when we ask for Himself and He gives that to us in the form of His Holy Spirit; than when we ask for wisdom, He surely does not hold that back either.  For when we have His presence in our lives, we have wisdom. 

I love this picture of God as generous.  I think we forget how generous He is many times.  I think life fogs up our vision of Him.  God wants to give us good gifts (Matt. 7:7-11).  He wants you to have wisdom for your life.  He wants to direct you.  He wants you to see as He sees.  He wants to even give you Himself through the person of the Holy Spirit to help you (Luke 11:9-13).  He holds nothing back!  And He will never make you feel foolish for asking.  He is a loving God.  We just need to ask. 

When the waves begin to swell...
However, there is a condition on us; our faith must be fully in Him!  I have been learning a lot about myself in regards to this very condition.  Many times, I have tried to live this life on my own….faith in myself that I can get it done.  But, in reality, I can do nothing.  Only God alone can change things, do things, mange my life.  I need to let go and let Him!  You can’t win a war fighting on both sides.  Just like your faith cannot be divided.  It is all or nothing with God. 

On my senior trip, just about to go snorkeling in the Bahamas.
I remember trying to get back to our boat, after snorkeling, in the Bahamas.  The waves began to pick up; because, a storm was coming in.  I was the furthest one out and it took every muscle and every once of energy to swim back to that boat.  Those waves tossed me around like I was nothing.  The waves left me frustrated, exhausted, unstable, and afraid.  When I climbed up on the boat, I was so thankful. 

Much like those waves lack of faith tosses us a round, leaves us frustrated, doubting, unstable, and afraid.   The waves seem bigger and stronger than God.  How can we receive anything in that state?  I am reminded of Peter sinking in the water when he began to doubt. 

Matthew 14:24 -33
Meanwhile, the disciples were in trouble far away from land, for a strong wind had risen, and they were fighting heavy waves.  About three o’clock in the morning Jesus came toward them, walking on the water.  When the disciples saw him walking on the water, they were terrified. In their fear, they cried out, “It’s a ghost!”  But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “Take courage. I am here!”  Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.” “Yes, come,” Jesus said.  So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus.  
But when he saw the strong wind and the waves, he was terrified and began to sink. “Save me, Lord!” he shouted. 
 Jesus immediately reached out and grabbed him. “You have so little faith,” Jesus said. “Why did you doubt me?” 
 When they climbed back into the boat, the wind stopped.  Then the disciples worshiped him. “You really are the Son of God!” they exclaimed.

If your faith is being blown in all directions…
If you feel like you are being tossed around by the waves of doubt…
If you feel like you are drowning in a sea of fear…

Shout out to God, “Save me, Lord!”

And He will reach out to you, grab you, save you, and then He will display His mighty calming power to the storms in your life!  And give you all the faith you need...just call out!

GET JOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!