Monday, February 22, 2010

Grandma Gedney and My Birthday 2008

This is a blog from another site... I thought I would repost it here in regards to my latest post Birthday Week 2010!

"Oh, Crap" was the first thing I heard yesterday morning. John had accidentally set our clock wrong, so we were running late for Rachel's school. After a bit of rushing around and about 15 minutes later John remembered to say, "Happy Birthday". I thought it was kind of a funny way to start my day.

Many people have asked what I did on my birthday. To be honest, it was one of the strangest birthdays I have ever had. However, in some sort of odd way it ended up being a very reflective day. The older I get the more I like to examine my life and where it is, where it is going, am I happy and am I where God wants me to be? John always thinks this is weird like I am some old lady.

I spent the majority of my day at Mrs. Gedney's funeral. I didn't know her at all. She is the grandma of two kids in our youth group. When we got there, my pastor sang, "Happy Birthday" to me in a whisper. I'm not gonna lie, that was a little weird as I am looking at Grandma Gedney in her coffin. Nothing like bringing it home that we are born, we live and then we die, "Happy Birthday to me".

My first thoughts were what a great way to celebrate my birthday…thinking of death. Somehow, God always seem to surprise me and change everything. During the funeral, I learned what a loving, caring and wonderful woman of God she was. She loved her family and they loved her. She loved God with her entire being. She loved her church and she loved doing things for God. Proverbs 31 was read to describe Grandma Gedney. To be honest, that has always been my goal to be a Proverbs 31 woman. Then something remarkable happened, Craig the kid in our youth group stood up and read a beautiful remembrance of his Grandma. Just like as if I were his mom I began to cry, I was so proud of him and what he was saying. Not just because of his well written memories; but at the depth of his understanding of the things eternal.

So I found myself asking, God what are you trying to say to me? I believe this is what He wanted me to glean from yesterday. We are just visitors in this life here on earth. Our real home is with our Father. Even though we are here for just a short time, God has us here for a purpose. His purpose is for us to love Him and to love others. I find that in myself that I am always in need to work more in both of those areas. I must truly love God with my whole heart and to hold nothing back. Then also, to love others and all that means. The theme that God has been showing me this year is to be compassionate. Jesus has such compassion for us and I need to have that same compassion for others as well. Not to rush to judgment, but rush to love.

To answer my previous question, my life has been very good, as long as I keep Christ first it will go where it needs to, I am happy, and I am where God wants me to be; but there is always room for more. This year will be very exciting and full of changes for me; but I know that God has a plan and He knows what I need. What started as a strange way to start a birthday actually ended up being a very good way to have a special day.

My beautiful daughters got me flowers that they picked out special for me, along with some great birthday cards. My husband took us all out for dinner. I had some very yummy pie. I could not have asked for anything better!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!