Monday, June 14, 2010

31 Virtues for Our Kids ~ Contentment

Contentment

Over the next few months we will be praying for 31 Virtues for our Kids maybe even for ourselves too!

Philippians 4:12-13 (New International Version)


12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

Here is another one of my favorite verses; but reading it again I feel I have a different take on it then I had before. I love it when God shows you something new and challenges you more in your walk with Him.

Verse 13, I quote all the time...throughout my whole life. It is just one of those awesome motivational verses that just keep you going. I kind of always looked at this verse as (hang in there with me) more of cheerleader type verse. I can do it...God gives me the strength. I don't think there is anything wrong with using this verse for that reason. But looking at it again, today I noticed something about it that I never had before.

Being content is one of my own personal struggles. When I think about contentment nothing pictures it more to me than my sleeping baby. My baby is a peace. He is feed. He is cared for. He is loved. His needs are met. He has no cares in the whole wide world…perfect contentment. But as you become an adult all that seems to slip away.

Here we see Paul sharing his heart about learning to be content. He talks about that he knows what it is like to live this life. He has experienced being in need and also having all his needs met. He shares that he has learned the "Secret" to being content in either of those situations. "Secret" caught my attention...I want to know the secret! I don’t have ANY problems being content when I have all I want. I want to know what I can do to be content when it seems like we don't have enough money, when the kids need new clothes, when our car breaks down, when kids are sick, when you are going through rough times. What is the "Secret"? What is the answer?

Then we see it right there in verse 13...you know that verse I quoted a million times...right there as plain as day in front of my face. The secret is it is only God's strength that will help me to be content. I need to call on the supernatural...the divine. Can I tell you the light bulb went one in my head just like that after all these years. So many times I think I can take care of these problems on my own or I worry about how things are going to work out. The point is I try to do it on my own. But really what can I do in my own strength… nothing really and I will only become frustrated and more worried.

When I find my strength in Christ then the God of the universe has control. I need to give Him that control and then He can help me learn to be content. Contentment is trust. Trust in a living God who has it all in His hands. Letting God be all who His is and all He has promised. When we allow God to be our everything and be our strength we will learn the secret of being content in any and every situation. The “Secret” to being content in this life is the strength that comes from God who gives it to us which then enables us to be content.

Oh Jesus, I want my kids to learn and understand what it means to be content.....


*"Father, teach my children the secret of being content in any and every situation, through Him who gives them strength."




*by Bob Hostetler, it is excerpted from Pray! magazine issue #4, 31 Biblical Virtues to Pray for Your Kids

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!