Monday, June 28, 2010

31 Virtues for Our Kids ~ Faith


Over the next few months we will be praying for 31 Virtues for our Kids maybe even for ourselves too!

Luke 17:5-6 (New International Version)
5 The apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith!"
6 He replied, "If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it will obey you.


Hebrews 11:1-40

Sometimes, faith is one of the very hardest of virtues to really grasp. It is an act of stepping out and believing in something you can't see, hear or feel. It is one of the biggest hurdles for many people and is the very thing that keeps them from knowing God. Faith is one of the biggest pieces of becoming a Christian. It is the biggest act of love from us toward God. Faith is saying, "I trust in You and Your Word even though I do not understand all that you have for me. But, I know you are True and You are who You say You are!"

We see in Luke 17:5-6 how far even a little faith can take us; and the faith that we have albeit small is more than efficient. True faith is enough to carry us. The only factor that can be an obstacle is implementing that faith. I find that doing as the apostles always helps....asking, "Lord, increase My Faith!" In Hebrews 11 we see the Heroes of Faith. Take some time to read these examples of faith. Keep in mind their humanity; but notice God's sufficiency!

I find that when I doubt I seek God more. My faith is my own based on a relationship with my God. My children's faith must also be their own. They must come to Christ on their own terms. As much as I would like to MAKE them be Christians...I can not, nor would I want that. Christ does not make us love Him...why would I ever consider making my children have to serve Christ. Christ does not treat us like puppets on strings. We always have a choice to love Him. I can not deny it is my hearts desire for them to serve Christ. I will give them as many opportunities and be an example of His love for them. I will then have faith in His promises that if I do my part He will do His.

Pr 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.
(I blogged about this verse before...check it out!)

*"I pray that faith will find root and grow in my children's hearts, that by faith they may gain what has been promised to them."



*by Bob Hostetler, it is excerpted from Pray! magazine issue #4, 31 Biblical Virtues to Pray for Your Kids


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!