Monday, April 30, 2012

I Hate Waiting!

One of my all time favorite movies is the Princess Bride.  There is a scene that keeps coming to my mind this morning. 


Inigo Montoya: I donna suppose you could speed things up?
Man in Black: If you're in such a hurry, you could lower a rope or a tree branch or find something useful to do.
Inigo Montoya: I could do that. I have some rope up here, but I do not think you would accept my help, since I am only waiting around to kill you.
Man in Black: That does put a damper on our relationship.
Inigo Montoya: But, I promise I will not kill you until you reach the top.
Man in Black: That's VERY comforting, but I'm afraid you'll just have to wait.
Inigo Montoya: I hate waiting.


Hahahaha I just love this funny scene between those two characters.  What a casual conversation between a guy arduously climbing the cliffs of insanity and a guy waiting to kill him?!  Inigo Montoya just had to "wait" to do his job and that was to take care of the man in black once he reached the top.


There is this unexpected "waiting" in church planting.  Now I am not waiting around ready to enter a sword fight with the man in black....but I am hating the "waiting".  God has a job for us to do in Bay City and that is to reach those who have never heard His name.  He wants us to go and be His arms stretched out to those in need.
 But, it is so hard to do that and hour away.  


I am so excited about the vision God has placed in our hearts.   I am so excited about the ideas and dreams He has given us to do in our new town.  I feel like a kid waiting to open their gifts at Christmas.  Honestly, I want to be moved over there now.  I want to be busy doing what God has called us to do.
But, we have to sell our house. 


We have plans.  We have goals.  We have dates and dead lines.  We have a team that is growing.  We have people already there wanting an Assembly of God church in our new city.
But, we can't leave yet .....we have things to finish here first.


Waiting, Waiting, Waiting....it can be frustrating!  I hate waiting!



Waiting is a part of life!
Ugh!

 BUT, learning to wait on the Lord is a virtue a virtue that is very hard lesson for me to learn. In some ways, waiting is like waiting for my spring flowers to bloom.  It seems like forever for those sweet little flowers to peek their petals out from their green buds.  But when they do it is perfect, beautiful and so fragrant. 



Let all that I am wait quietly before God, for my hope is in him.
Psalm 62:5


Waiting is an act of OBEDIENCE!
When I wait on Him, I show Him that I am willing to allow Him to move in His perfect timing.  If I try to make things "move faster"  then I am doing what He has called me to do in my own efforts.  That is not God building His Church that is me building mine.  Ouch!  There is obedience even in the waiting.  Huh... I think I will chew on that for awhile.

Wait patiently for the LORD. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the LORD.
Psalm 27:14

Waiting is an act of TRUST!
When I wait on God, I learn to trust Him more.   There are something's I cannot make happen, no matter how hard I try.  I cannot make someone buy my house.  I have to trust in God's call for us to move to Bay City.  If he has asked us to move, He will provide the buyer at the right time.  I have to trust Him for that!  No options...just trust! 

But if we look forward to something we don’t yet have, we must wait patiently and confidently
Romans 8:25

Such things were written in the Scriptures long ago to teach us. And the Scriptures give us hope and encouragement as we wait patiently for God’s promises to be fulfilled.
Romans 15:4



When I choose to wait, God will build His church in His perfect timing.  Then and only then will this new church in Bay City be a perfect, beautiful and fragrant offering to the Lord.  Today, I will choose to wait.  Not because I like it, He never said I had to like it;  but as and act of obedience and trust.  I will wait bravely, courageously, patiently, and confidently before the Lord. Then I will watch His promises be fulfilled and see something amazing blossom.


 While I wait, I will...
GET JOY!

The pictures of the flowers are from around my house this morning!  Trillium, Lilly of the Valley, Columbine and my Lilacs!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Keith and I just had a conversation about this very topic!

    Thanks for this post, Christina. God is going to do great things through your ministry in Bay City.

    ~Joni

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!