Sunday, April 29, 2012

A Tween Party!

My 12 year old daughter wanted to have a duct tape themed birthday party!   Yikes!  How does one do that???  If you have been following my blog you may have noticed that our lives have been a little busy.  So, here is my interpretation of that theme.  You will notice her favorite color everywhere in the party too. 

I am also crazy and I let her have an all-nighter.  I know...I know...crazy right?!   We had 7 tweens in our home...this was going to be quite the adventure or the worst idea of my life. 

On the snack menu, cupcakes with duct tape flags, chips, mini homemade pizza squares, chocolate covered pretzels,  marshmallows dipped in chocolate, orange candy slices and lots of lemonade.  (One smart thing I did was that I got each girl an orange water bottle and wrote their name on it. If it tipped over...no spillage and no sharing of germs or wondering who's drink was whose.) 
I wanted to incorporate duct tape somewhere...here are some flags I made with all of her fun tape. 


I spent the week thinking about what the girls would want to do at the party.  I came up with a few ideas.  There is a playground very close to our house so we walked over and took some very fun photos.  The girls really got into coming up with some fun shots.   They were pretty fun to hang out with and they didn't even mind mom hanging out with them. 




One of my favorite shots!
I didn't want to hear "I'm bored" all night.  So, I came up with something brilliant.... I filled a box with slips of paper with things to do on them.  I came up with almost thirty different things.  I had a bucket with all the things they needed to accomplish each task.  The rules were...
1.  They could only pull one slip out at a time.
2.  They all had to agree to pull out a slip.
3.  The birthday girl got to pick out the slip and read it.
4.  If they decided to pull out the slip they had to complete the task.
(Oh and since I came up with them, they were all "mom approved"!  Brilliant isn't it?! LOL)


Here are the ideas!
1. Do sparklers
2. Paint nails
3. Talk like a pirate for the next 20 min
4. Make balloon bracelets
5. Make up a skit and preform it
6. Tell silly ridiculous scary stories
7. Paint a frame to take home
8. Have a biggest bubble blowing contest.
9. Have a burping contest
10. Make duct tape bracelets
11. Say "Bazinga" after every sentence for the next 10 min.
12.  Put glow in the dark tattoos on.
13.  Play a game...taboo, apples to apples or balderdash.
14.  Play truth or dare (but only do things mom would approve of)
15.  Write out facts about each other on paper, don't write their name on it,  mix them up, try to guess which fact belongs to each person.
16.  Tell and embarrassing funny story.
17.  Watch a movie.
18.  Take a zillion funny pictures.
19.  Start a story.  Each person tells one sentence at a time and continue until the birthday girl says, "The End"!
20.  Everybody lay on the floor.  Close your eyes, make the strangest noises you can and nobody laugh!
21.  Play the game concentration.  
22.  Spray the sour candy in your mouth and say a tongue twister really fast.
23.  Do something weird you know how to do like wiggle your ears, bend your fingers back...etc.
24.  Put stickers all over your faces.
25.  Make the funniest faces you can and nobody laugh.
26.  Play the Wii
27.  Sing five silly songs in a weird accent.
28.  Do everybody's hair in a weird hairstyle!


 They only made it through half of these and some they did the next morning.  It was a lot of fun and I never heard..."We're Bored!"


It was fun going outside and doing sparklers!  A side note...I love, love, love my camera!
These are the fun frames they painted and I put a fun picture we took at her party in them.  We used duct tape here too. These were the party favors.

I put up the twinkle lights to make my living room even more fun. 


The girls didn't make it all night.  Once a movie went on they got sleepy.  I think they were all asleep by 3am. 


For breakfast we had french toast bake, sausage, string cheese and bananas.  So Good that I wanted to share the recipe for the french toast!



Ingredients:
1 loaf texas toast cut or broken into bite size pieces (you can really use any kind of bread, I used french bread)
8 eggs
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cup half and half cream (if you don't have you can just do milk, I used buttermilk)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Arrange the slices in bottom of buttered 9x13 pan. Beat eggs, milk cream, vanillla and cinnamon. Pour over bread slices, cover and refrigerate overnight.

Sauce:

3/4 cup butter
1/13 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons light corn syrup

The next morning in a small saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar and corn syrup, heat until bubbling. Pour over bread and egg mixture

Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees uncovered I cooked it for about 40 min.  It will puff up and set.



This tween party was a big success!  All the girls had a lot of fun, there was no fighting, no crying and no getting in trouble!  I even got a little sleep...Whoo HOO!  However, my house is trashed; but it is worth it!

Happy Birthday to my 12 year old!
GET JOY!

2 comments:

  1. Great party! I will have to remember this one when Autumn gets a bit older!!! You were brave, but I LOVE the slips of paper with things to do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fun! I love the flags and the activity ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!