Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Confessions of a 9 Year Old!

I love have alone times with my kids. Yesterday, I spent some time with my oldest child. We went to the grand opening of our new children's library here in town. They had yummy cookies (red velvet cookies...I was excited about that too), free t-shirts and a magician. My daughter is fascinated with magic. She likes to figure out how they are doing the tricks. The guy was pretty funny too. It was so much fun to watch her laugh. She got her very own library card after the show... that was pure excitement there.

We did a little shopping after and then decided to go to Burger King for and Icee. As she sat across from me, I began to wonder about what she thinks about her life...does she like it? Is she happy?

I asked her…

What do like about our town?

I like it because it is quiet and not to busy. I like the river and the Riverwalk restaurant there food is delicious. I like that we live close to our schools so we can walk to them. I like my friends and my church.

Why do you like our church?

My friends and because it is big....It has three floors. (This made me laugh because I don't think our church is very big at all)

What do you love about your life?

I love my family, friends and Jesus. I am glad that I have food and shelter to protect me from the rain and lightening.

What would you change?

I would change the time school start like 9:20 instead of 8:20. We both agreed on that idea. LOL

I sat there and then a God thought came to me.....Honey, you are pretty content aren't you?

Yep! She replied without even thinking much about it.

"Huh", I thought to myself. I began to think back to when I was a little girl. I am very thankful about my childhood; it was very good, no heart ache, no pain, just simple and pure. I remember that I felt the same things that my daughter just told me. Unfortunately, that is not the case for most children in the world for all too many sad reasons. Thankfully, my daughter is experiencing the same type of childhood. We are both very blessed.

But it made me think about being content and why does it change in adults so much. I started to ask God questions. Is it because a child doesn't know about all the things they can have? Is it because she doesn't have the adult worries? Is it because adults mess things up too much? Is it greed in us to always want more? Is it because she hasn't had bad things happen to her? Is it expectations we place on ourselves or let others place on us? Maybe, is it all these things?

God just said, "So what about these things"! What does it really matter why we are not content? We need to acknowledge when we are in a place of discontentment and find our simple contentment in Christ. What can not control every thing in our life, we can only control our reactions to those things. Christ provides our every need and that is good enough. My daughter has every need meet in her life and she is good with that.

God says in His word,
Philippians 4:11 (New International Version)I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances

God is asking us to be content no matter what is going on in our lives....kind of goes against the whole American way doesn't it?

Huh, something to chew on for awhile....



Side note I am reading chapter 3 in Primal....I read it that night and I think God was trying to say something to me. It was about your finances and your heart behind them. Once again God I am reminded about how much God is always trying to speak to us in so many ways. I will probably blog about it Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!