Thursday, April 8, 2010

31 Virtues for Our Kids ~ Compassion

Compassion

Over the next few months we will be praying for 31 Virtues for our Kids maybe even for ourselves too!

Colossians 3:12 (New International Version)
12Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

Here is what dictionary.com defined compassion as a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering.


I firmly believe that while Jesus was on this earth this virtue is what motivated Him. It is why He healed all those who came in contact with Him. It is why he took the children into his arms and blessed them. His love is so deep for us that it was compassion that Christ was feeling in the garden of Gethsemane. I believe it is what compelled Him to the cross. He knew what our future would hold if He did not endure the cross. His sorrow is now our joy! Huh, makes you think....


I love the word pictures the bible creates for us. It says in this passage to clothe ourselves in these virtues. I love the idea of wrapping ourselves up in compassion, fully covering us in this beautiful, good action. This idea makes me think of getting on my winter clothes...just like my son in the picture. I put on my layers, my snow pants, my coat, hat, mittens, scarf, warm wool socks, and boots then I am ready to brave the cold. I don't put on all that stuff to go sit on my couch that would be crazy and hot. I put all that stuff on to go outside and do something like shovel the drive, go sledding or make a snow man.


Compassion is not just a feeling. It is an attribute that calls us to move on behalf of those we feel sorrow or sympathy for. I want nothing less for myself and my kids. I want us to be compassionate. I want us to feel and do something about the pain others are going through. I want us to always do what we are able. We can not fix everyone's problems but we can certainly help as many as we can. I want us to be compelled to have compassion just as Jesus was compelled and not just sit on the couch.


*"Lord, please clothe my children with the virtue of compassion."


*by Bob Hostetler, it is excerpted from Pray! magazine issue #4, 31 Biblical Virtues to Pray for Your Kids

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!