Thursday, July 1, 2010

31 Virtues for Our Kids ~ A Servant"s Heart

A Servant's Heart

Over the next few months we will be praying for 31 Virtues for our Kids maybe even for ourselves too!


Ephesians 6:7 (New International Version) Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men,


There are many times in life we may not want to help a certain person for any number of reasons.....
Maybe they hurt us
Maybe they annoy us
Maybe they are mean
Maybe they make us mad
Maybe they stink
Maybe they make us sad
Maybe they are just plain idiots....yeah I said it, hahahah! (You know there are some out there)


In Eph. 6:7 we see that even in the worst of situations, being a servant/slave, we must DO good will. Why? Because our actions are as unto the Lord not to men, it is our act of love to God. God always takes it to the next level. He doesn't want mediocre.....He wants our best!


When I was a sweet, loveable, Jr. High kid my dad decided to do the craziest thing one Christmas day. Well, it was crazy in my book anyway. On Christmas morning instead of feverishly unwrapping gifts, eating until we pass out and trying out all our new stuff my mom and dad took us to downtown Detroit. It was very early in the morning for this teenage girl. (Sympathy please) My dad signed us up to work in the kitchen and serve homeless people Christmas dinner at the Salvation Army.


I wasn't real happy about the idea at first; this was definitely not one of our regular Christmas traditions. Once we got there it became about serving others...I am pretty sure that is what my dad wanted us to learn. : ) Serving others is really about serving our good God. Over the rest of my teenage years God really began to teach me how to have a servant's heart....my parent's prayer all along.
Now it is the prayer for my kids....

*"God, please help my children develope a servants heart that they may serve you whole heartedly as if they were serving the Lord, not men"



*by Bob Hostetler, it is excerpted from Pray! magazine issue #4, 31 Biblical Virtues to Pray for Your Kids


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!