Sunday, October 10, 2010

31 Virtues for Our Kids ~ Passion For God

Passion for God



Over the next few months we will be praying for 31 Virtues for our Kids maybe even for ourselves too!



Psalm 63:8 (New International Version)
My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.




I want my children to have passion in their life. I want the passion to be an extravagant love for God. I don't want them to live this life half-heartedly. Too many people live in this world with very little passion, very little hope.



Many times my kids have clung to me when they were nervous or scared. I would have to pry them off of me finger by finger, arm by arm, and then leg by leg. They were desperate for mommy to rescue them from the poke at the doctors, the cold pool water or the scary spider. They would cling to me like their life depended on it.



I like the word picture of "cling". I think the psalmist David truly understood that we need to cling to our God. Hold tight to Him, His promises, His word, His great love to live this life. We need His grace that pays our enormous debt. We need His strength that surpasses our abilities. His love that is wider than any ocean.



God knows that our strength is limited. As we cling to Him, then "His right hand upholds us". The strong hand of our Lord enables us to continue to cling to Him. He doesn't leave us alone. He doesn't leave us hanging on for dear life. I love the picture of Him holding us as we cling, we are supported by Him. How cool is that. It is like the big bear hugs I give my kids.





*"Lord, please instill in my children a soul that 'followeth hard after thee', one that clings passionately to you."




*by Bob Hostetler, it is excerpted from Pray! magazine issue #4, 31 Biblical Virtues to Pray for Your Kids

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!