Thursday, October 28, 2010

31 Virtues for Our Kids ~ A Heart for Missions

A Heart for Missions

This is my last installment for 31 Virtues for our Kids . Hopefully, you will pray for these virtues for your children and yourself!


It has been fun writing about all 31 virtues. It has been challenging for me to pray these for my kids. My prayer has also become that I would have these in my life as well; so that I would be an example to them and bring glory to God!

Psalm 96:3 (New International Version)
Declare his glory among the nations,

his marvelous deeds among all peoples.

(These top two pictures are from my husbands team that went to the Dominican Republic)


Our family loves missions. We love to give to missions, pray for missionaries and sometimes we even go on mission trips. We feel that missions is what God has asked us to do. We are obeying the "Great Commission" found in Matthew.


Matthew 28:19 (New Living Translation)
Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.


We teach our kids to give to missions at our church. John and I give to missions. We sponsor a little girl in Jamaica, pray for her every night and send her letters. My hubby and I have gone on mission trips; in fact I went last year. You can read my blog about it here and my trip to Mexico here. We want to go on so many more trips. We also pray for our missionaries. These are some of the things we do to show our kids how to have a heart for missions.




But why do we need to have a heart for missions? I think the answer is pretty simple...It is God's heart. We should want the heart of G0d flowing through us. God wants all people to know about Him. But not only for others to know Him; but to meet their needs in a real way like providing food, clothing, shelter and healing their sicknesses.

Our God is compassionate. He loves us all. I want my kids to have that same compassion. We need to get our eyes off of ourselves and onto God. We must show compassion to all people all over the world. It is the least we can do for our God who has done so much.

*"Lord, please help my children to develop a desire to see your glory declared among the nations, your marvelous deeds among all peoples." (Picture of me in Jamaica)
These 31 virtues will surely help me and my children....

*by Bob Hostetler, it is excerpted from Pray! magazine issue #4, 31 Biblical Virtues to Pray for Your Kids












No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!