Friday, March 12, 2010

31 Virtues for Our Kids ~ Generosity

Generosity

Over the next few months we will be praying for 31 Virtues for our Kids maybe even for ourselves too!

1 Timothy 6:18-19 (New International Version)
18 Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share.

19 In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.

Wow, I love it when I reread a scripture and it suddenly speaks to me in a new way. This is an awesome verse and is now added to one of my favorites. I love the very last part of 19....soooo gooood!

John has a fantastic story that really reflects this idea of generosity and this verse in a remarkable way....

John was a senior in High School. We both went to a Christian school, Fairlane Christian. He was sitting in his Bible class when his teacher, Mr. Molnar, shared a story of trusting in the Lord even with your finances.

Mr. Molnar said he was praying at the altar of his church one day. He was seeking God's direction. He felt that God was calling him into the ministry and that he needed to go to Bible College. He did not have the money to go and he didn't know what to do. When he was done praying, he got up and saw a man coming toward him. That man told him that God want him to help Mr. Molnar pay for his college.

John remembers getting very emotional during the telling of this story because that man who was generous with his finances to help our bible teacher was John's Grandpa. His grandpa had passed away when John was a kid. Here years later, because of his grandpa's generosity and his faithfulness....he was still able to speak into his grandson's life even after his death through our bible teacher. What an amazing story...I cry every time I hear it, I am crying now.

How far reaching will my generosity go long after I leave this earth, if I am found faithful? God only knows; but I do know that I never want to be selfish. I want to be generous with all that I have.

*"Grant that my children may be generous and willing to share, and so lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age."



*by Bob Hostetler, it is excerpted from Pray! magazine issue #4, 31 Biblical Virtues to Pray for Your Kids


I borowed this picture from John's cousin Dawn...Thanks Dawn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!