Tuesday, March 2, 2010

31 Virtues for our Kids ~ Courage

Courage

Over the next few months we will be praying for 31 Virtues for our Kids maybe even for ourselves too!



Deuteronomy 31:6 (New International Version)
6 Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

I always tell my kids, "Never let your fears keep you from doing things you want to do." I like what Babe Ruth said, "Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game. Did you know he had like 714 home runs, Amazing! But did you also know that he struck out 1330 times. He is still considered the greatest Major League Baseball player of all time. What if Babe Ruth let the fear of striking out get in his head and not overcome it? I daresay he would not be the legend he is today.

This passage in Deuteronomy is were we find Joshua filling the job of his predecessor. I think Joshua probably felt very inadequate to fill the shoes of Moses. I mean come on ...Moses took on Pharaoh, the Red Sea, talked with God face to face and lived. Moses had lead them to the promise land and now it was Joshua's job to take them in. It was a new land, with new enemies and a lot of people following him. Joshua's resume paled in comparison. The resposibility was probably overwhelming to say the least. But it is here we hear the most encouraging words from our Father God to Joshua. And it is here we see a man willing... rise up and take the plate...

Wow, this verse is for us as well. God's character is so very clear here in Deuteronomy. His character never changes. He does not want us to be fearful or terrified. God is with us. He is with our children. So no matter what things come their way, He is with them. What an empowering verse. (I think this will be a memory verse for them and for me)

*"May my children always be strong and courageous in their character and in their actions"

I am going to add and may their fears never keep them from doing the will of the Father!


*by Bob Hostetler, it is excerpted from Pray! magazine issue #4, 31 Biblical Virtues to Pray for Your Kids

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!