Thursday, March 11, 2010

Oh...Grow Up!


It is late...and I am just pondering some things that are heavy on my heart. I think I am able to just sit and think because everybody is asleep around here and all I can hear is the tick-tock of my clock. Such quietness does not happen often but it is good to just sit here and think....

There is this picture of me in my dad's shoes and him holding onto me as I try walking in them and loving every moment with his daughter. I think this an interesting God image if you will.... As I grow in Christ, I will begin to fill those shoes; but my feet will never get as big as His. He is always there holding on to us, guiding us, directing us...there to catch us when we stumble. And someday when I see Him face to face, I will run to the one who loves me more than anything.

Did you ever have growing pains? Sometimes, they can be really painful during a a big growth spurt. I believe God is helping me thru some painful growing up. It has been a very hard thing to do probably because sometimes God's refining process can get really close to those things I just can't seem to let go of. I have been a Christian for nearly 26 years and I am amazed at how much growing up I still need to do.

Here I am at the ripe age of 34 and I still have some of the pitfalls that I did when I was little. I want to sulk and blame everybody else. When actually I am the only one who can control how I react to things. I read into everything and get offended even when I thought I didn't act like that. In some ways I am still selfish and want things only my way instead of God's.

Now don't read into this that I am just too hard on myself, don't beat yourself up so much or that she is just having a pity party. The reality is that there is a serious danger of us ever thinking "I have arrived...I got this Christian thing down." There is so much more that God wants to do in us and when we think there couldn't be anymore ...God reveals even more.

Why? Is it because God is a big meany and wants us to be miserable? When He corrects us is it because He has nothing better to do? Nope, actually the opposite is true. God wants us to live our best life! That only comes when He is completely Lord of all and we surrender. God is who He is and is completely reliable and trustworthy. His Word declares all His promises. He is the measuring stick of holiness. We need to walk in His steps. Not along the side were we might get distracted but in step to exactly where He is leading. He is leading us to something more amazing than we could ever imagine....it just requires obedience.

I tried to explain God's great love to a class of tweens today...I had a hard time doing it because there are no words deep enough, big enough or wide enough for us to really get it. My God is gracious, compassionate, kind and tender....the list goes on and on. Our Fathers love is what inspires me to grow and walk in His shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!