Sunday, March 21, 2010

31 Virtues for Our Kids ~ Perseverance

Perseverance

Over the next few months we will be praying for
31 Virtues for our Kids maybe even for ourselves too!


Hebrews 12:1
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.




I love this verse! One of my favorite artist, Ron DiCianni, captured this verse beautifully in his work of art "Legacy". I bought this print as a gift for my husband, John, when he was ordained as a minister of the gospel. I love the image of the minister surrounded by the giants of faith encouraging him to run the race marked before him. I love looking at it when I go into his office...it is very inspiring.

But this verse is for everyone. God has a plan for us all. He has a life for us to live. It comes with two requirements however:


1. Throw Off
There are two things we need to get rid of they are first the things that hinder us and second sin. There are things that may hinder us that are not sin, they are distractions. The not so obvious distractions, things like watching too much T.V., computer, sports, hobbies and things like that. They keep us from the calling of God. Then, of course, the sin that so easily entangles us. Sin can keep us away from God; it separates us and holds us back. We need to get rid of it by daily allowing Christ to examine us and purify us.

2. Run
My physical body hates the very idea of running. I never have liked it, even as a child. God is calling us to run to Him. It is not a short distance run it is more like a marathon. We are not trying to beat everyone else; but to simply finish the race God has marked out for us. The great cloud of witnesses are cheering us on. He has given us His word as water to help us. And God is our coach speaking to us through prayer to encourage us and direct us. So run, even when we don't feel like it. So run, when we feel strong. So run, because we will receive a prize if we do not give up! The prize, eternal life with the One who loves you and me!

*Lord, teach my children perseverance in all they do, and help them especially to run with perseverance the race marked out for them."

Run and...

*by Bob Hostetler, it is excerpted from Pray! magazine issue #4, 31 Biblical Virtues to Pray for Your Kids

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!