Tuesday, October 12, 2010

31 Virtues for Our Kids ~ Self-Discipline

Self-Discipline


Over the next few months we will be praying for 31 Virtues for our Kids maybe even for ourselves too!


Proverbs 1:3 (New Living Translation)
Their purpose is to teach people to live disciplined and successful lives, to help them do what is right, just, and fair.








To be honest this one I am not that excited to write about; probably because it is the one I struggle with the most. Trust me, I am not the most disciplined person on the plant. I can not stand anything that screams schedule or structure. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate when others excel in these areas and make my life easier(as I write that it seems so selfish, ugh). But when it comes to my life I would much rather "fly by the seat of my pants". I love being spontaneous. I love doing what I feel like doing when I want to do it.


BUT, life does not work like that all the time. To grow in a relationship with God does not work that way either. Growing in God is slow and steady with a commitment to follow Him everyday. That commitment means seeking, praying, reading and learning on a consistent basis. This covenant relationship with God Almighty requires discipline. To be honest, the very sound of that sometimes makes me groan....hey I am human.

I think my son will love order and structure. He lines up his cars in all sorts of interesting ways. He hates it when I turn one the wrong way or mess up his pattern. He gets all mad and starts having a 2 year old fit. I want him to learn to have a disciplined life in Christ as he grows. I want him to remember to not let the "discipline" to be the focus the focus must always be God. We must always be flexible in allowing God to change things up a bit.

Throughout my life I have learned the great value of discipline. There are huge benefits that do help you be successful in what you are doing. When you have worked at something, put thought into it and put care in to your life you will do what is right, just and fair. You are less likely to hurt others by plans not thought through.

Bottom line, a life that is disciplined is a life fully surrendered to God. I have a lot of surrendering to go; but, I know that there are great rewards for me as I do. Lord, help me be disciplined and be a good example to my children!

*"Father, I pray that my children may acquire a disciplined and prudent life, doing what is right and just and fair."



*by Bob Hostetler, it is excerpted from Pray! magazine issue #4, 31 Biblical Virtues to Pray for Your Kids


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!