Friday, March 13, 2009

Proverbs 13 "Black and White"




Some things in life are just simply, "Black and White". There are no shades of grey; even though we may pretend there are. Here in Proverbs 13, we find that "black and white" we sometimes dread. I think sometimes it is hard to choke down such finality; because in America we like to have it "Our Way". God's way can seem so intolerant and unbending. Yet in the truest sense, when we release ourselves to His will, we have freedom. It is a strange phenomenon, that when we obey all God's precepts we are freed from the bondage of sin. It is hard for some to understand that when you follow rules it frees you rather then binds you.



I started to look at this passage with the agenda of finding some nice "make you feel good about yourself" verse. What I saw today is, "Righteous people do this, Wicked do that".

Heed your fathers instruction, a Mocker does not listen

Watch your tongue, He who speaks rashly comes to ruin

Hate what is false, Wicked bring shame and disgrace

Take good advice, Prideful breed quarrels

Be prudent with your finances, Dishonest money dwindles away

Learn from wise people, You will pay for it if you don't

Discipline your children, Those who do not discipline hate them.


It ends with this verse,

25 The righteous eat to their hearts' content,

but the stomach of the wicked goes hungry.


We are talking about spiritual food here. When we do not nourish our self with God's Word, we become empty. When we fill our lives with His words and then we act on them, our spiritual minds begin to work properly. The school is always sending me notes about making sure my kids come to school on a full stomach. There is evidence that when they eat a healthy, well rounded breakfast, kids do better in the classroom. This is true of followers of Christ. If we do not dig into God's word than we spiritually deplete ourselves of His good nutrition.


I have to be honest here, I think I have been running on "E" for quite awhile. Oh, I have my excuses, "I just had a baby, I'm not getting enough sleep, there is not enough time in the day, to much laundry, Blah Blah Blah!" Somehow, I always make time for real food; yet, I can't seem to make time for God's food. The food that saves my soul. The food that renews and refreshes.


So, this walk through Proverbs has been like standing under a waterfall. My heart feels lighter. My soul feels more full. My heart yearns for what God will show me tomorrow. I feel no chains, these precepts free me. They call me to do the will of God, so that I may glorify Him.


When God is "Black and White" it is like a clear path for me to walk on. I do not have to guess where He is taking me. I know exactly where I need to go. It is very "Black and White".
When I can see the clear road ahead then I will be able to...
GET JOY!
Check out my friend's perspective on Chapter 13!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!