Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Proverbs 17 "True Friends"

9 He who covers over an offense promotes love,
but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends.


17 A friend loves at all times,
and a brother is born for adversity.


Here are two verses about friendship. I never realized the value of friendship until my husband and I started the ministry God called us to do twelve years ago. My friendships that I have established have been worth more than any amount of money in the world. God understands our need for connection and help. He wants us to have people in our lives that encourage, love and pray with us.


This past year, I have learned about friendship more than I have ever had to before. Some of those friendships have been tested with fire. It is amazing to me that when I have been careful picking my closets friends there is nothing that has shaken that relationship. In fact, in adversity it has only grown stronger. That is why we need to use wisdom in choosing our closest friends.

This past year, I have also been learning to move in Christ compassion. For some reason, this has been a challenge. I always thought I love people as Christ does; but I have learned very quickly that is not always the case. Verse 9 challenges us that sometimes we need just let some of the stuff go that our friends do that is annoying. We are to also watch our tongue and not gossip about our friends and their short comings.

Verse 17 is an interesting verse. Matthew Henry's commentary explains it so beautifully that I will just post it here.

"Friends must be constant to each other at all times. That is not true friendship which is not constant; it will be so if it be sincere, and actuated by a good principle. Those that are fanciful or selfish in their friendship will love no longer than their humor is pleased and their interest served, and therefore their affections turn with the wind and change with the weather. Swallow-friends, that fly to you in summer, but are gone in winter; such friends there is no loss of. But if the friendship be prudent, generous, and cordial, if I love my friend because he is wise, and virtuous, and good, as long as he continues so, though he fall into poverty and disgrace, still I shall love him. Christ is a friend that loves at all times (Joh 13:1) and we must so love him, Ro 8:35. "
And when th winds of change and adversity come to you, you now have a brother! How true is that?!

GET JOY!

Check out my friend's perspective on Proverbs 17!


2 comments:

  1. love the pics!

    don't you love how TRUE friends are with you forever no matter what? we connected right away and have kept that connection for the last 12 years... even when we go for weeks without talking, although the internet helps with that issue :), we can start a conversation right where we left off. I love that. thank you for being such a great friend to me through some big change years in my life. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for being a dear friend. We are sisters-in-law by marriage, but friends by choice. Much love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!