Friday, March 6, 2009

Proverbs 6 "A Pure Heart!"

In my "Friends" class (Mpact Girls Ministries formally known as Missionettes) we have been talking about a "Purity". We have been talking about what it means to have a pure heart. I told my girls that it is more than keeping yourself pure for your husband, which is still a very important thing. It is about how we are in every aspect of our life.

In this passage of Proverbs God challenges in every area of our lives. In the first portion He challenges us to be a good steward and a hard worker. Laziness is not something God desires in us. I love how He uses the ant. He takes one of the world's smallest things that we usually step on to help us understand a spiritual truth. So next time we go to step on an ant lets ask ourselves if we are working as hard as he is! LOL

He then goes on and warns us about deceiving people and devising mischievous plans. Hey, God knows us inside and out. He knows the hearts and minds of man. He longs for us to show His love and kindness. This area is pure selfishness; and God sees right through our lying selves. I think sometimes we justify ourselves by saying, "Hey, I am not as bad as that other guy." But, God wants more from us. I think a great example is when we spin something in a away that makes us look far better than what really happened. How many times do we all fall to that example? A pure heart goes right to the root of us.

Then we hear the seven things God hates. When I was little, I would always think, "Watch out for these, God HATES these". Hate was a big word to me and I was never aloud to use it. Well, I did when I was really angry at my sister and my mom wasn't around. It was as bad as a swear word in my house. I do not think we understand the magnitude of how much God abhors these things...good grief, He used the word Hate.

1. Pride
2. Lying
3. Murder
4. "A heart that designs and a head that devises to do evil"
5. Bearing False Witness
6. Making mischief between relations & Neighbors (ooh I wish some people in churches would get a hold of that one.)

I think Matthew Henry's commentary sums this up nicely. "God hates sin; he hates every sin; he can never be reconciled to it; he hates nothing but sin. But there are some sins which he does in a special manner hate; and all those here mentioned are such as are injurious to our neighbor. It is an evidence of the good-will God bears to mankind that those sins are in a special manner provoking to him which are prejudicial to the comfort of human life and society."

Okay, this is getting to long. I probably lost half of my 4 readers already. So, I will finish up. Basically, we see here how God longs for us to be pure. We need to do so and that is why He asks us to bind them on our heart. He wants the best life for us. If we follow His directions we will live in peace with God and with men. He wants our homes to be safe, secure and free from doubt.

I think Proverbs 6: 2o-23 are good words to meditate on today.
My son, keep your father's commands, and do not forsake the law of your mother. Bind them continually upon your heart; Tie them around your neck.
When your roam, they will lead you;
When you sleep, they will keep you;
And when you awake, they will speak with you.
For the commandment is a lamp, and the law a light; Reproofs of instruction are the way of life.

Seek a PURE HEART and...
Get Joy!

Check out my friend Jen's perspective of Proverbs 6!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!