Thursday, March 26, 2009

Proverbs 26 "Whose Fool Are You"



April Fools day is coming up. At the Johnson house it has become a day of great anticipation. My girls can not wait to see what kind of tricks mommy will play on them all day. Last year I had some great ones like Vasseline on the bathroom door knob. I painted our bar of soap with clear nail polish. They could not figure out why the soap was not working. I hide plastic bugs, snakes, frogs, mice in funny places. One year I served my daughter green oatmeal with a (plastic) frog smack dab in the middle of it. I told her she had to eat the pond scum. My middle daughter barfed shortly after. I am not kidding. We still laugh about it today. We look forward to it every year.

However, Proverbs 26 is speaking to quiet the different Fool. There is nothing funny about this fool at all. God wants us to be wise in all areas of our lives. Here He is showing us how we can avoid these great follies:
In verse 1 we see that how ridiculous it is to give honor to a fool.
A fool thinks much higher of himself than he should (vs. 5).
We can also not depend on a fool; they will fail us every time (vs. 6).
Wisdom is useless for a fool (vs. 7,9)
A fool will repeat his mistakes over and over (vs. 11).
A lazy man is a fool (vs. 13-16).
Some other deeds of a great fool are some one who meddles, uses course joking, gossips, quarrels, lies, and are full of malice.

God is very clearly showing us how to know if we are acting like an idiot.

There is still one other kind of fool out there and that is who the world considers to be a fool. We know that the world sees us as letting our faith and emotions replace knowledge and free thinking. Jesse Ventura: Governor of Minnesota, 1999: "Organized religion is a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people who need strength in numbers. It tells people to go out and stick their noses in other people's business." I think that sums up what the world thinks.

I probably could write on and on about this topic, that is not the point of this blog though. It comes down to this, whose fool are you? Are you a follower of Christ in which the world call you a fool? Or are you a follower of yourself which God calls a fool?

I will leave you with this thought from Dwight, "Whenever I'm about to do something I think...would an idiot do that? And if they would, I do not do that thing."

I will not be an idiot today and I will...
GET JOY

Check out my friends perspective on Chapter 26!

Oh, and if you have any great tricks please comment on them. I need some fresh ideas.

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of the NT passage about God using the "foolish" things of the world to confound the wise. The contrast between godly wisdom and what the world views as wise.

    As for April 1, I really enjoy seeing all the ways my kids try to come up with to fool us. Their "kid humor" is so hilarious to watch. Not too tricky, but definitely entertaining!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!