Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Galatians 2 ~ When Conflict Happens!

The Goodwin Family

Don't forget to visit my dear friend and her thoughts on Galatians 2!


Ahhh I am so tempted every time to type Galations....it is wired in my head. Grrr

Galatians 2



Tyndale New Testament Commentary outlines Galatians very nicely. I like outlines. They really help my fully understand ideas and thought processes. Here is the outline found in this commentary:

1.The Argument from Experience (chapter 1 - 2:21)
2.The Argument from Theology (chapter 3 - 5)
3. The Argument from Results (5:2-6:18)




Remember that he is making the argument for justification by faith!
Justification is the act of God whereby humankind is made or is accounted just, or free from guilt or penalty of sin




chapter overview...
2:1-10 Paul's relationship with the church leaders in Jerusalem
2:11-16 Paul confronting Peter
2:17-21 Death and New Life







What God Wants To Show Me Today!
I have to admit this chapter kind of frustrated me today. For some reason, I kind of had this picture of the early church just being so wonderful and didn't have much conflict like churches do today. Needless to say, this chapter rocked my little world. Conflict existed back then, even between to heavy weights of early church Peter and Paul, you don't get much more amazing then them. I mean there is nothing like reading Paul getting all up in Peter's face, seriously verse 11! Watch out Peter!



The main issue was that Peter began to treat the Gentiles diffrent when the Jewish Christians came into the picture.






Hahahaha this picture made my laugh. I do not think that Peter and Paul's relationship was this hostile. Thank goodness they were able to work things out in a more civil way. Man can you imagine what would have happened if they didn't work it out? I am glad God has everything under control. God was not surprised by these guys he knew that they were the men for the job; even though human eyes may say, "What in the World?????"




As a church leader I need to remember two things!

1. From Peter I learn.....
That being a leader doesn't give me the right to be all "holier than thou". I need to remember to whom I belong. I am a servant of the most high. I am saved by grace through faith. I am no better than anyone else and I must preach the same gospel to everyone. The gospel does not change from person to person.




2. From Paul I learn.....
I need to stand up for what is right. I need to watch out so that I am not swayed from the truth by those in authority. I need to preach the "One True Gospel".

Paul ends this chapter with these powerful verses....




20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
21 I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!”







Wow, I never want what Christ did be for nothing!!!! I am sure that is what Peter knew in his heart as well. The Gentiles where not under the law...they were given grace just like the Jews. I love this verse...




Romans 8:3 (New Living Translation)
3 The law of Moses was unable to save us because of the weakness of our sinful nature. So God did what the law could not do. He sent his own Son in a body like the bodies we sinners have. And in that body God declared an end to sin’s control over us by giving his Son as a sacrifice for our sins.






Christ longs for us to be in His family(John 3:16); but our sin keeps us separated from Him (Romans 3:23). Jesus died so that we could be given grace(II Cor. 5:21), He paid our debt (Romans 5:8). When we have faith in Jesus (Romans 10:9-10), His grace pays our debt. He died because He loves us. There is nothing we could do to earn that love! We are just humans. What could we really ever do that would be good enough or big enough to earn the love of God (Eph 2;8)? The answer is we can't. So, God steps in and provides a way for us through His Son. He does this because He loves us we are His creation, His handiwork, His masterpiece.

Thank you Jesus! I am forever grateful that you did not die for nothing! I am made right with you through faith! Your grace covers me!

2 comments:

  1. I love the two things that you learned! that is so true. we can learn from both sides! j ust because we are leaders doesn't mean that we are above correction and as a leader we can't be afraid to challenge someone when they are not representing the gospel correctly! whew!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!