Saturday, November 13, 2010

Philippians 1 ~ Heaven, My Home

The Goodwin Family


Don't forget to visit my dear friend Jenilee and her thoughts on Philippians 1!
Philippians 1
Chapter Breakdown (Matthew Henry's Commentary)
1. The apostle offers up thanksgivings and prayers, for the good work of grace in the Philippians. (1-7)
2. He expresses affection, and prays for them. (8-11)
3. Fortifies them against being cast down at his sufferings. (12-20)
4. He stood prepared for glorifying Christ by life, or death. (21-26)
5. Exhortations to zeal, and constancy in professing the gospel. (27-30)

What God Wants To Show Me Today

20 For I fully expect and hope that I will never be ashamed, but that I will continue to be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past. And I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die. 21 For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better. 22 But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ. So I really don’t know which is better. 23 I’m torn between two desires: I long to go and be with Christ, which would be far better for me.

I love this portion of scripture. In some ways it is like a life song for me. I want to be bold and consistent. I want to bring honor to Christ in life and in my death. I have so much work to do for Him on this earth. Yet, to be with Him in heaven is to finally truly be at home. I long for it.

So many times Christians are afraid of death. In reality, dying is just more of living. I get excited about what heaven is going to like. I have such a hope. There are days I so long to be at home.

But, while God gives me breath, I know I have so much to do here. There are people hurting all around us. People are hungry, people are sick, people are poor, people are lonely and there is a Truth that will bring them Hope. I know the truth and it is my pleasure to proclaim it.

My prayer for you all today is one of my favorite verses...

3 Every time I think of you, I give thanks to my God.

4 Whenever I pray, I make my requests for all of you with joy,

5 for you have been my partners in spreading the Good News about Christ from the time you first heard it until now.

6 And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.

Remember in life .....if it isn't Good, God isn't done!

1 comment:

  1. I love how you so simply laid out these truths...and, even more, I am glad He's not finished with me yet!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!