Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Romans 1, part 2 "Deserving of God's Wrath"

25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

This verse sums up the whole last part of Romans 1; our sad state that we as humans have found ourselves in.

We are without excuse (vs. 20 I love, love, love) . We know the Truth. It is plain to us. Creation declares the evidence of a living God. However, humanity has in general decided to worship the created rather than the creator.

There is a VeggieTale story that I really like and since it is March this will be rather fitting. (Hey, I am a mom sometimes the only good t.v. I get is cartoons. hahaha) It is the story of St. Patrick. St. Patrick was a missionary to Ireland. He proclaimed the "Good News" of Jesus to the druids. The druids much like many today have traded the truth for a lie and worship the created rather than the Creator.


The Bible is so relevant for today! Paul then shares a list of things that humanity has done, rejecting God with their very lives. They did not glorify or thank Him. They thought they were wise but became fools. They exchanged the glory of God for things (sound familiar in our world now).

So, what does God do....he lets us have our way:

Humanity decided to...

lust, have unnatural sexual relations, have shameful acts with the same sex, fill themselves with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed, depravity, envy, murder, strife, deceit, and malice.

Then to top it off, we become...

gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant, boastful, invent ways of doing evil and just when you think whew I am not and have not done any of these things He throws in this last one.. they disobey parents!

Okay whoa! that covers just about everything and somewhere on that list we will find ourselves and that is when we need to realize our need of a Savior. We deserve God's wrath; we have turned our backs on the living God. Thankfully through out Romans Paul shares with us how we can avoid this wrath. Who can save us from these wicked ways ....Jesus Christ.

Just like St. Patrick I will give glory and thanks to God. I will worship the Creator. I will spread the good news so that those who are lost in their sin will no longer know the wrath of God but rather the greater love of the most high God. Jesus is Truth!

I love this portion of the prayer of St. Patrick...


I arise today
Through the strength of heaven;
Light of the sun,
Splendor of fire,
Speed of lightning,
Swiftness of the wind,
Depth of the sea,
Stability of the earth,
Firmness of the rock.

I arise today
Through God's strength to pilot me;
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me,
God's way to lie before me,
God's shield to protect me,
God's hosts to save me
Afar and anear,
Alone or in a mulitude.

Christ shield me today
Against wounding
Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in the eye that sees me,
Christ in the ear that hears me.

I arise today
Through the mighty strength
Of the Lord of creation

Lets trade the lie for "The Truth, Jesus Christ!"

GET JOY!

Check out Jenilee's take on this portion of scripture, it is an excellent read.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic post, and very timely. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that st patrick poem is great! yes, let's choose truth!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!