Monday, March 14, 2011

Romans 7, part 2 - Good VS. Evil


Do you remember that Donald Duck cartoon where he struggles to become his better self. It was one of my favorite Donald Duck stories. In the cartoon you see Donald struggling with his naughty version and good version of himself. It is funny to see Donald struggle with sin; but it is not so funny when we struggle to do what is right. Donald is just a drawing; but the consequences of our actions can last for eternity. ( I think the story writer at Disney must have read Romans 7 as the inspiration for this cartoon. hehehehe)



This portion of Romans is one of my favorite. The first time I read 14-20 I laughed because I was like What, I am so confused????!!! It is a great portion of scripture that perfectly shows the war inside of hearts between the sinful man and the longing to do what is right. Try reading those verses really fast, it is kind of like a tongue twister.

14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.


I think, I like it so much because I can relate to Paul. The law of God reveals our sin and our sinful nature. It is so hard sometimes to do the right thing and choose holiness. When I was younger these verses meant a lot to a young Christ follower. I realized that Christ could still use this wretched sinner. Praise God that he provides help through Jesus Christ!

I love, love, love these verses.....

21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

Oooooooo Sin does not have to keep me a prisoner anymore! Jesus has delivered me. I will...

GET JOY!


Don't forget to visit Jenilee's blog and read what God has spoken to her about in Romans 7.

2 comments:

  1. so cute. that cartoon fits perfectly. :) looks like a children's church lesson! lol but amazing how it speaks to adults as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!