Friday, March 18, 2011

Romans 9, part 2 -Of Pots And Mugs

I ain't gonna lie...I am one tired girl and this is big theology; my brain is having a hard time wrapping around all that is going on in verses 6-33. There are a few things that really get my attention though...

I love visual things, if you haven't figured that out by reading my blog yet. In verse 21, Paul uses the Potter and the vessel image. Since I worked a pottery place, I really get a lot out of that visual.

In these verses we learn that God has had a plan all a long for the Jews and the Gentiles. His plan has always been our redemption. We must always remember His sovereignty when we study this passage. We must also remember that, "Who are we to question why God does what He does in the way that he does it?" We need to remember that God is working all things out for our good. He has a plan for us and a plan for His chosen race Israel.

At the pottery shop, I painted many pieces. Now I didn't create the form of the piece; but I painted it, glazed it and fired it. I played a major role in the completion of each piece that I worked on. I have worked on pottery from the clay stage as well in high school; so I really have an understanding and appreciation for the process.

21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use?


Each piece that I worked on always had a different purpose. From my statue of Jesus, to my dishes, to my pots, to my mugs everything had its purpose...everything was important to me. My art, my passion, my love was put into each piece. My plate that sits on display at my mom's has just as much of a purpose as my pot that held my sponges at the sink. I love them all, I had a plan for each, each piece was important to me and each piece was valuable even if it was a pot or a mug.

God had a plan for the Jews and He had a plan for the Gentiles. He created us all for a certain purpose, just like I created my pots and mugs for a purpose. God's plan for the Jews was for Christ to come and redeem all mankind through His promise to Abraham. They seem like pretty special people...but God loves all His creation the same. Remember...

Romans 2:11 (New International Version, ©2011)

11 For God does not show favoritism.
His ultimate plan is for ALL, Jews and Gentiles, to have a relationship with Him through faith. We cannot earn our way to heaven...it is a free gift. God doesn't make us serve Him....we have a choice. He has a plan for you...it is up to you to seek it.

God has created you. He has a plan for you. Are you willing to let Him use you and...
GET JOY!

These are just some of the many pieces that I painted while I worked at the Pottery shop in Petoskey!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by GET JOY! I enjoy getting comments on my posts so feel free to leave one. Have a blessed day and .....

GET JOY!